1. I have been trying to quit smoking.
A. give up B. pick up C. build up D. take up
2. Relief workers were shocked by what they saw.
A. moved B. touched C. surprised D. worried
3. The weather is a constant subject of conversation in Britain.
A. question B. problem C. title D. topic
4. This is not typical of English, but is a feature of the Chinese language.
A. particular B. characteristic C. remarkable D. idiomatic
5. It is virtually impossible to persuade him to apply for the job.
A. simply B. almost C. totally D. completely
6. These are defensive behavior patterns which derive from our fears.
A. stem B. rely C. develop D. grow
7. Only a small minority of the mentally ill are liable to harm themselves or others.
A. easy B. possible C. likely D. difficult
8. They have the capability to destroy the enemy in a few days.
A. possibility B. necessity C. ability D. probability
9. We have never seen such gorgeous hills.
A. beautiful B. stretching C. spreading D. rolling
10. The leaves have been swept into huge heaps.
A. loads B. layers C. pyramids D. piles
11. The news will horrify everyone.
A. attract B. terrify C. tempt D. excite
12. The article sketched the major events of the decade.
A. described B. offered C. outlined D. presented
13. I won’t tolerate that kind of behavior.
A. bear B. receive C. admit D. take
14. Their style of playing football is utterly different.
A. barely B. scarcely C. hardly D. totally
15. Her sister urged her to apply for the job.
A. advised B. caused C. forced D. promised